Thursday, May 26, 2011

Earn a Bachelor's Degree


When I first sat down to configure this entry for the ol' Bucket List, I had figured I would post a quick couple of pictures, tell my age (a budding, fresh 23), briefly describe the degree (Bachelor's of Arts in Theatre & Speech), state the year (December 2008), and brag a bit on my honors (Cum Laude, Dean's List, Oustanding Senior Award - oh ho ho). But what happened as I started thinking about it all was the stinkin' realization that I have been degreed for an entire two and a half years AND WHERE'S THE MONEY? Haven't they, those people, the authority guaranteed that working people make no money without a degree? Does the inverse not hold up? Will I forever live like this?





Anyway, *ahem,* apart from that ponderance, the moment was particularly special for me and my family because it was the first time I ever walked for a diploma. In high school, I skipped out with a GED, thus no graduation ceremony. My mother was so excited for me that day; I am the first on her side of the family to earn a degree from an American college.





Handy Graduation Tip

Stick something on top of your cap so family can point you out from in and amongst a huge crowd all wearing the same color robes (in my school's case, the auditorium floor was a sea of black). Get something that expresses you in some way. Fellow students had pasted their fraternity or sorority letters, others had sports symbols. If you're not "associated" in some way, use something that you think just looks cool. I went to the craft store and fashioned these pretty white feathers, and my mama could see me from the top balcony some fifteen feet high. Pretty stellar.




Earn a Bachelor's Degree  ✓


No comments:

Post a Comment