Tuesday, October 5, 2010

An introduction to hoop dancing

Something about myself that I have yet to speak about on this blog is the fact that I'm a hooper. No, not a basketball player (I'm only 5'2"!). Remember those classic, circular toys called hula hoops?


Well imagine the awesomeness kicked up a few gears and you get something called hoop dancing. And boy is the dance smoking hot and hella fun.

I got into hooping 'cause of my best friend, and I am grateful always. For me, hooping is a reason to breathe and breathe deeply; it forces my body to move, to dance, to release all its pent up energy to the rhythm of the music. And it's a bunch of pretty rainbow colors flowing round and round, and who doesn't like that?

Take a look at this and tell me you wouldn't want to start hooping, too. (warning: some f-words in the song, but hey the beat is sick =)



If you look closely, each hooper has his or her own unique style all their own. Unlike ballet, hoop dance is entirely custom to you and your body. If kicking your leg up in the air and hooping around your foot is not your style, maybe something easier like floating would fit your groove (floating is a great illusion-technique that audiences love). Whatever your style, you'll discover through play and practice a gazillion moves and variations to complement how you like to hoop best.

Are you ready to start hooping yet? =)


No comments:

Post a Comment